Before you get to this point though you need to make sure that the seedlings grow strong, and don't fall victim to Damping off. Which is when a seed or newly emerged seeding is attacked by a fungus in the soil. Causing the seed to either rot and become mush, or a seedling to become weak and fall over.
some ways to prevent this are:
- to use seed starting, either homemade, or store bought, as opposed to reused soil, because there can be left over fungi in them. Some people sterilize the soil.
- Same goes for pots/growing containers, make sure they have been cleaned properly.
- have good air circulation
- watering just enough, and never overwatering
- not crowding space between seedlings..less space equals less air flow
just recently Lisa, of Getinthegarden mentioned that Chamomile tea around the base of a plant will help to take care of Damping off ( trick she learned from an Herb farmer she use to work with), I tried it this evening, and well so far so good.. thanks for the tip!!